Thursday, July 21, 2011

API Library Suggestions

My plans are to continue developing API libraries for CI in my free time. One thing I am going to do is combine the YouTube and Dropbox libraries into the same github repo since they do share some common code in oauth_helper. That would mean only having to update things in one place as opposed to several in the current repo structure.

That being said, I am starting to run out of decent API ideas. I think the next one I will tackle is the NetFlix API but beyond that I am really not sure.

What API libraries would you like to see implemented in CodeIgniter?

1 comment:

  1. I think you actually could release oauth_helper as a separate spark.

    Then you can release eg. NetFlix API spark and declare it's dependency on oauth_helper.

    php tools/spark install netflix would automatically install oauth_helper if it's not installed.

    In Netflix API then you could call your oauth_helper as a spark, or put it in config/autoload.php to have it load automatically.

    This way, you could do separate updates on oauth_helper and also other developers who want to make their APIs could use your oauth_helper. :)

    More on autoloading: http://getsparks.org/make-sparks (under 5.)

    And more on declaring dependencies: http://getsparks.org/spec-format

    ReplyDelete